Wednesday 17 February 2010

Whose is this?



The background image we all know. I obtained it from the National Archive website, which states that all images are in the public domain, unless it is specifically stated to be otherwise. The photographer (I believe it is Herbert Mason) is not credited on the site.

The Fourth Plinth website tells us the subject of the sculpture (Air Chief Marshall Sir Keith Park, who co-ordinated the allied air forces in the Battle of Britain) but does not name the sculptor on the initial page. His name is Les Johnson.

The photograph of the sculpture on the plinth was taken by me.

As I understand it, I could use this resultant image in any way I choose, including the (unlikely) option of taking payment for it. Yet I would clearly be using the work of others for my own gain.

Furthermore, under current anti-terrorism law, I could have been arrested for taking the photograph, even though it is a public sculpture in a public place.

This seems like an almighty muddle.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete